Anne McGuire and Associates were hired by the Village of Carol Stream in October, 1996 to develop a Preservation Plan for the historic structure located on Lies Road in Carol Stream. Donated by Paquinelli Builders, this building is owned by the Village. Below are listed some of the findings.
“Preliminary historic research indicates the site, historically known as the Stark Farm, was developed and farmed in a manner consistent with the farming trends in DuPage County. The house predates 1874. ”
“The (house) is one of the last remaining farmsteads in the Village. With the donation of the Farmhouse, the Village seeks to preserve the house as a part of its heritage and to make it available for public use. ”
“The one acre parcel on which the house stands is bounded on the south by Lies Road, on the north and west by new single family housing and on the east by a new park. The site is relatively flat with the house set well back from the road. Some mature trees remain, particularly on the south and west.”
“The house is a two story gabled “ell” of frame construction on a stone foundation with a basement. On the front, south, gabled end is a one story bay. The original “ell” configuration has undergone several modifications.”
Today, the address of this Historic Farmhouse is 301 W. Lies Road, CarolStream.
Timeline of Carol Stream
1818–Illinois becomes the 21st state. No white settlers in what would become DuPage County.
1839–Organization of DuPage County after it breaks away from Cook County.
1842–Daniel Kelly of Vermont builds a home for his bride in what is now Carol Stream.
1846–A home, “Tall Trees” was built at Main Place and St. Charles Road. (currently the oldest house in Carol Stream).
1852–St. Stephen’s Catholic mission church is organized.
1853–Fair Oaks Road and Army Trail Road is known as Wayne Center with a broom factory, a blacksmith shop, a store/post office and a country church (previously known as Gimletville and Orangeville).
1930–Electricity arrives at the Kuhn farm home on Kuhn Road.
1952–NBC-TV’s “Down on the Farm” program, hosted by Wilbert Landmeier and starring Eddie Albert was filmed in Carol Stream.
1957–Carol, daughter of Jay Stream, is seriously injured in a car accident August 26, 1957 and in a four-month coma.
1958–“Carol Stream Estates” by Durable Construction offers affordable housing around $15,300. Jay Stream is the developer.
1959–Carol Stream Woman’s Club founded.
1959–Village Incorporated. First Village board meeting on February 12th.
1961–Carol Stream Jaycees organized.
1961–St. Luke’s Catholic Church opens its doors.
1961–1st Village newspaper, the Carol Stream Bulletin, was replaced by the Citizen in March.
1962–The Carol Stream Public Library opens at 397 Blackhawk Drive on Sept 29th.
1963–Carol Stream hires first full-time Police Officer.
1964–The Carol Stream Park District is established.
1964–Central DuPage Hospital opens in nearby Winfield.
1965–Carl Bornholt and Elsie Johnson are first recipients of the Citizen of the Year awards.
1966–The Carol Stream News brings local news to residents.
1966–Nina Jo Schmale of Carol Stream is one of the 8 student nurses killed by Richard Speck.
1967–1st Village Administrator, Rudy Mikulich, is hired.
1972–The Village is hit by one of the worst floods of the century in August.
1972–The Carol Stream Fire Protection District is formed.
1975–Janice Gerzevske is the first woman elected Village President.
1975–Jay Stream School dedicated on El Paso Lane.
1976–Fire Station #2 opens at Schmale and St. Charles Road.
1976–Gretna Station Museum opens in a July 4th dedication.
1978–Michael Collins Pool is converted from an outdoor pool to an indoor pool.
1980–Greg Bielawski joins the Village as Village Manager.
1981–Stratford Square Mall opens in nearby Bloomingdale on what was part of the Tews farm.
1982–Groundbreaking is held for the post office on St. Paul Boulevard.
1984–The Carol Stream Association of Business and Industry is formed.
1987–Ribbon cutting is held October 18th for Caboose No. 543 at the “museum plaza” at Armstrong Park.
1987–St. Andrew United Methodist church suffers serious fire.
1988–The Village of Carol Stream achieves “Home Rule” status.
1990–Mark Bodane hired as Fire Chief. Retired in 2007.
1991–Village of Carol Stream is re-certified as a ‘Certified City.’
1992–The United States Postal Service opens a regional processing center at Schmale and Fullerton.
1995–Fire Station #3 opens on Lies Road west of County Farm Road.
1996–The Village acquires the Historic Farmhouse, then known as the Hartsing Farm, originally known as the Stark Farm.
1998–The Town Center is dedicated, later to be known as the Ross Ferraro TownCenter.
2003–Rick Willing becomes new Chief of Police after retirement of John Numrich.
2006–Founder of Carol Stream, Jay Stream, dies January 22nd.
2007–First shop opens in Fountains at Town Center: Feb. 20; Gossip Salon.
2007–Frank Saverino, Sr. elected Mayor.
2007–Mike Kanzia is new Fire Chief. Retires 2010.
2008–Carol Stream suffers flooding after heavy rains from Tropical Storm Lowell, the tail-end of Hurricane Ike adds more rain. September 13th.
2009–The Village of Carol Stream, founded in 1959, celebrates 50 years.
2009–Kevin Orr sworn in as Police Chief February 17, 2009.
2010–Rick Kolomay sworn in as Fire Chief January 6th.
2010–Longtime resident and local historian Jean Moore passes away.
2010–Flooding occurs in part of the original section of town July 24/25th.
2011–Money Magazine names Carol Stream #49 of the top 100 places to live.